Prof. Shital B. Kshirsagar
In keeping with its mandate, the Commission initiated various steps to improve the status of women and worked for their economic empowerment during the year under report. The Commission completed its visits to all the States/UTs except Lakshdweep and prepared Gender Profiles to assess the status of women and their empowerment. It organized workshops/consultations, constituted expert committees on economic empowerment of women, conducted workshops/seminars for gender awareness and took up publicity campaign against female foeticide, violence against women etc. in order to generate awareness in the society against these social evils. For gender equality & gender justice in all its intervention & practices Woman Grievance Redressal Cell was established under the Act No. 20 of 1990 of Govt. of India. The Cell is responsible for looking into any complaints filed by students & staff about Woman Grievances at the college. The functions of the cell are to purely safeguard the rights of female students, faculty and staff members of women and also to provide a platform for listening to complaints. The Cell also tries to incorporate hygiene habits and ensure a healthy atmosphere in and around the college. It tries to equip them with the knowledge of their legal rights and redressal of their grievances. To facilitate speedy delivery of justice, meetings are organized regularly. The counseling cell processes oral and written complaints. Time to time the cell conducts seminars and lectures by specialists and eminent personalities to stop violence against women, sexual harassment at work and about health, hygiene etc.
The Indian Woman, secure in her home and outside, fully empowered to access all her rights and entitlements, with opportunity to contribute equally in all walks of life.
Mission – Women
To strive towards enabling women to achieve equality and equal participation in all spheres of life by securing her due rights and entitlements through suitable policy formulation, legislative measures, effective enforcement of laws, implementation of schemes/policies and devising strategies for solution of specific problems/situations arising out of discrimination and atrocities against women.
Objectives of this cell :
- To resolve issues pertaining to girls or women sexual harassment.
- To Womens Grievance Redressal Cell has been formed to resolve issues
- To equip the female students, faculty and staff members with knowledge of their legal rights.
- To safeguard the rights of female students, faculty and staff members.
- To provide a platform for listening to complaints and redressal of grievances.
- To incorporate hygiene habits and ensure a healthy atmosphere in and around the college.
- To ensure personality along with academic development of students.
Complaint and Redressal mechanism:
Encouragement of the students to express their grievance /problems freely and frankly
without any fear of being victimized.
- Suggestion or complaint box is installed in which the students, who want to remain
anonymous, put in writing their grievances and their suggestions.
- After knowing grievance of students, member discusses it with the chairman and then an
appropriate solution is found out. If not solved at this level then grievance is taken up to the
Principal and legal advisor.
- The complainant shall be summoned to hear complaints (if necessary).
- After hearing of complaints, the committee shall take appropriate decision.
Heads of Women Grievance Redressal Cell
- Rape / Attempt to rape
- Acid Attack
- Sexual Assault
- Sexual harassment
- Stalking / Voyeurism
- Trafficking / prostitution of women
- Outraging modesty of women / Molestation
- Cyber crimes against women
- Police Apathy against women
- Harassment of married women / Dowry Harassment
- Dowry Death
- Bigamy / Polygamy
- Protection of women against Domestic Violence
- Women’s right of custody of children / Divorce
- Right to exercise choice in marriage / Honour Crimes
- Right to live with dignity
- Sexual Harassment of women at workplace
- Denial of maternity benifits to women
- Gender discrimination including eqaul right to education and work
- Indecent representation of women
- Sex Selective Abortions; Female Foeticide / Amniocentesis
- Traditional practices derogatory to women rights like Sati Pratha, DevdasiPratha and Witch Hunting
- Free legal aid for women